When to Call an Emergency Electrician

Wires on fire
|

Home electrical fires account for approximately 51,000 fires every year and $1.3 billion in property damage. Faulty wiring, sparking, and other issues can cause fires, shocks, electrocution, and more. 

So what red flags should you look for, and when do you need an emergency electrician? 

These signs mean it's time to pick up your phone and schedule an appointment with an electrician as soon as possible. 

You Feel Warmth Coming From Power Outlets

A common warning you need to call an emergency electrician is if you feel warmth or heat coming from switches or sockets. This red flag can result in house fires. Heat from outlets or switches can indicate wiring problems or too much demand on the circuit. 

Feel around the socket for any heat to check for this issue. 

Another warning sign related to your outlets is a burning smell. You might even see brown or black marks along the socket or switch. You may also see or smell smoke.

If you do, unplug everything and switch off the power to the outlet immediately before calling an electrician. 

Flickering Lights

Many homeowners don't pay much attention to flickering lights, as this issue can be quite common. Flickering lights occur when there's a power surge or fluctuation in the household voltage. 

However, sudden changes in the voltage can sometimes result in fires. Additionally, if you notice all the lights in your home flickering, it can indicate an issue with the circuit. For instance, the circuit might be overloaded. 

The problem could also lie with the main connections or electrical panel. 

If it's due to faulty wiring, you should never ignore this sign. Give an emergency electrician a call. 

Buzzing Noises

Humming or buzzing sounds around your breaker box are a sign there's something wrong with the wiring. Don't take any strange noises or signs involving the breaker box lightly, and don't try to fix it yourself. 

An electrician will take a look and find out what's causing the unusual noise and whether you have a more serious underlying issue. 

Exposed Wires

Junction boxes without covers, missing switch covers, and improperly mounted light fixtures can all pose a danger to homeowners. 

Maybe they were left in this condition by a previous homeowner or by a contractor who never finished the job. A light fixture that wasn't properly installed might fall in your home, leaving exposed wires which can cause electrical shocks. Whatever the case, getting too close or touching these components can result in an electric shock or worse. 

In the United States, electrical injuries result in around 1,000 deaths every year. Additionally, there are at least 30,000 non-fatal shock incidents. 

Don't take a chance. If you see any electrical components or wires, call an electrician for assistance. 

It's always a good idea to have a few phone numbers on hand in case anything happens in your home. If you notice any of these signs, call an emergency electrician and set up an appointment as soon as possible. 

If you're in Naples, Fort Myers, Sanibel, or surrounding areas, give us a call to set up a service time. 

Categories: 
Share To: