Is it dusk already? When the sun starts to go down, but you want to keep the party going, then you'll need some powerful lights.
Outdoor lights can illuminate any space and provide ample light for any gathering. There are a lot of details to consider, though, so you may want to take a minute to look through the types of lighting available.
If you're looking for tips on choosing outdoor lighting, then you're in the right place!
What Is The Purpose?
The first thing to consider about your options for outdoor lighting is the purpose: why do you want it? Many homeowners need lights for safety, but others need bright lights for parties or decorative accents.
Once you decide on the purpose of the lighting, it gets much easier to get through the other factors because you can revolve them around the original idea. Choose the purpose of the lighting first, then fit everything else together into the overall plan.
Where To Install It?
A great outdoor lighting setup can provide light from different angles and positions, so it's important to consider installing outdoor lighting in places that can get the best effect. The best lighting position will give you adequate light in all the necessary places.
A wall light will shine from one specific direction. A hanging light will shine light from an elevated position, making it great for corners. Ground lights such as lamp posts do well anywhere light is needed in all directions.
What Type Of Bulb?
Bulbs can make a big difference in the type of light you get. There are many considerations for considering the bulb types, so here is a list to read through:
- Incandescent bulbs — standard bulbs that need protection from the elements
- High-intensity discharge (HID) — bright light for wide-open areas
- Compact fluorescent (CFL) — energy-efficient and fits into the same base as incandescent bulbs
- Halogen bulbs — vibrant light that produces plenty of heat
- Light-emitting diode (LED) — durable, and energy-efficient, but requires a larger outdoor lighting budget
Choose the best bulb for the situation to get the best lighting effect.
What Color Bulb?
Color plays a critical role in lighting choices for your outdoor location. The color of your bulb can make people bright and cheerful or gloomy. Choose a color that gives you the desired effect.
When in doubt, choose bright white light for the best neutral effect.
What Power Source?
When it comes to outdoor lighting, choose a power source to suit your use. The type of power available for your lighting selection pairs with how far it is from your power source, how often you want to update it, and how much sunlight it can get.
- Electrical — Electrical power uses power cords or wiring straight from your home's power grid. After installation, turn the light on or off with the flick of a switch.
- Battery — Lights can use batteries to power it up, but not for too long. Batteries will run out of energy and need replacement once they deplete.
- Solar — Solar lighting will have small solar panels that collect sunlight to power it up. The more sunlight it stores, the longer it can power up the light. This type of lighting does best in places with lots of sunlight and should be in areas that will not have excess shade.
Choose the best power source that fits your lighting needs and requires less outdoor lighting maintenance service.
Choosing outdoor lighting for your home is all about the parameters! Decide on the purpose, location, type of bulb, bulb color, and power source that best meets your needs. For additional help, consider asking your outdoor lighting provider for further explanations.
A good set of outdoor lighting will provide hours of illumination for any outdoor activity, but that light may sometimes need service. Powerhouse Home Services offers electrical services across Naples, Bonita Springs, Estero, Fort Myers, Cape Coral, Sanibel, Marco Island, and the surrounding areas. Click here to schedule an appointment!