Fort Myers Generator Maintenance
Powerhouse Home Services offers Maintenance Plans on Generac and Cummins Standby Home Generators and Commercial Backup Generators
A standby generator is a mechanical piece of equipment that requires routine maintenance to ensure it is in good working condition when it is needed most. Unfortunately, life happens and people often forget to have their generators maintained. It is not until the power is out that the customer realizes there is an issue.
To prevent the annoyance of your standby generator not providing you power when you need it most, it is imperative that you have routine maintenance performed on your standby generator.
It is estimated that between 30 and 40 percent of standby generators in service will not start due to things such as dead batteries, clogged filters, and bad breakers—all of which are easily preventable with a maintenance plan.
Why is Planned Maintenance Important for My Standby Generator?
- Battery Failure: The battery charger provides voltage to keep the batteries charged, but if the battery charger fails or a battery is old, it will not be able to crank the engine when the generator is called upon to start. Additionally, battery terminals can corrode, and the connections can become unreliable. We recommend replacing the starting batteries every two years.
- Belts And Hoses Deteriorate Over Time: Belts and hoses will become brittle after several years and can potentially become damaged. As part of a regular maintenance program, all belts and hoses should be inspected by a knowledgeable technician. Replacement should be made at the first signs of cracking or deterioration.
- The Engine Cooling System Has Several Areas Of Concern:
- Keeping the radiator clean will help ensure it has enough airflow to cool the engine properly on hot days. Leaves, paper, and other debris can block the radiator airflow.
- Oil residue and dust can cake on the radiator and reduce its ability to cool. Or someone could place a piece of equipment in front of the radiator which can also restrict the cooling capacity.
- Always keep the area in front of the radiator clear of anything that will block its airflow.
- The engine coolant requires regular maintenance or changing. Inhibitors in the coolant prevent rust buildup in the engine cooling system and help lubricate the water pump. This also ensures that the coolant will not freeze in cold weather.
- The radiator cap requires regular testing to verify that the cooling system can hold pressure per the manufacturer’s specification.
- Engine block heaters can fail, causing engine starting issues.
- Any oil or coolant leaks should be addressed to contain and repair the issue.
- Engine Oil Breaks Down Over Time: Regularly changing the oil and filter per the manufacturer specifications provides proper lubrication to the engine.
- Shutdowns and Alarms: Generator safety shutdowns and alarms should be tested to ensure that if a problem does develop, the protection systems will work properly.
- Electrical Connections: Expansion and contraction may allow electrical connections to loosen over time. A good inspection should be performed periodically to assure connections remain tight.
- Critters: Critters cause problems. Rats, mice, snakes, wasps, birds, and all sorts of creatures can make a home inside a generator enclosure. It is common for rats and mice to build nests and chew through electrical wiring.
- Poor Diesel Fuel Quality: Over time, diesel fuel can deteriorate and become contaminated or even useless if not properly maintained. The generator fuel tank should be filled with good diesel for proper operation. This also provides a longer runtime during a power outage.
We also repair broken or nonfunctional generators—click below for more information.
At PowerHouse, our Fort Myers generator maintenance specialists provide top notch generator service to homeowners and business owners in the Southwest Florida region. Give us a call at (239) 345-9455 today for more information or book your service call online now!
At PowerHouse Home Service, we will always do our best to make any situation right. We do not preach perfection, we stand behind our mistakes. Here are three guarantees you can count on from us:
"All of the staff at Powerhouse Home Services are great!"
They're always responsive and they come very quickly to get the work done. We are now using them for all the projects they can handle. Great company for one-stop shopping when it comes to keeping your home working and comfortable.- Steve B.
"Professional, Punctual & Responsive"
Nick was extremely professional as well as exceptionally personable. Good customer service is hard to find and these guys are awesome, especially when a technician goes above and beyond.- Scott R.
"I will not hesitate to call PowerHouse Home Services the next time I have an issue in my home."
Nick was EXTREMELY knowledgeable and professional, he took the time to walk me through all of the work he was doing, and really went above and beyond my expectations.- Erik G.
"WELL PUMP REPLACEMENT DONE RIGHT!"
Kyle did a fantastic job on our repair. He responded to our request for help immediately and fit us in on the same day even though he already had another job to do. Kyle was upfront and honest about the cost and how long it would take to complete.- Elizabeth
"Thank you, Powerhouse, for being a great company and having awesome employees!"
I had an issue with my water meter and a leak under my kitchen sink, and Dave was so professional, gave great insight, and showed up in a timely manner!- Hannah I.
"Highly recommend Powerhouse Home Services"
I called Powerhouse Home Services because my ac unit stopped working. They were able to get a technician out to my home within a couple of hours. Frank our technician was great, he figured out our probably pretty quickly and got our ac unit back up and- Dustin H.
"Can't recommend Greg and the team at PowerHouse enough!"
My tech. was Greg, he arrived on time with a great attitude. Greg explained exactly what went wrong and how he fixed it to not happen again!- Thor P.
"To whom it may concern...."
Overall, my experience with Powerhouse was amazing and refreshing from the phone call to the end. Thank you so much for your quick response to my issues and the repairs.- Donald S.
When the power goes out in your Southwest Florida home, do you have a plan in place? Are you running to gather candles and flashlights, or do you calmly walk over to your backup generator switch and turn everything back on? Our well-trained staff handles all your residential and business generator needs.
Having started out as a generator company, we knew our customers would benefit greatly from having a company that could service their entire electrical system and not just their standby generator. We have electricians on staff that can handle projects as small as receptacle replacement and repairs to as large as whole home rewires.
Our plumbing service professionals are factory trained to handle everything from natural gas and propane lines, water heaters, home water filtration, drain cleaning, emergency repairs, and even home re-pipes and pipe repair. We use advanced techniques to diagnose and address plumbing problems promptly, restoring the functionality of your plumbing system in no time.
Whether you need heating repairs, air conditioning installations, or routine maintenance, our HVAC technicians are well-equipped to keep your home comfortable all year round. We are familiar with various HVAC systems and can recommend the best solutions to maximize efficiency and minimize energy costs.