Types of Smoke and CO2 Detectors
While researching smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors, you will find several are available on the market:
- Photoelectric smoke detectors
- Ionization smoke detectors
- Combination smoke detectors
Some are battery operated, others are hard wired into your home's electrical system. It is important that you pick a smoke detector and/or carbon monoxide detector that is appropriate for your home and budget.
PowerHouse can help! Call us at (239) 345-9455 or schedule an appointment online.
Stay Informed & Stay Safe: Placement of Your Smoke & CO2 Detectors
The location and placement of your smoke detectors and/or carbon monoxide detectors is crucial to giving you, your family, and your home maximum protection. If smoke detectors and/or carbon monoxide detectors are poorly placed, it may not be able to detect smoke or fires at the right time, causing the alarm to sound later than required. The following factors should be considered in the placement of your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors as well as making sure you have maximum protection:
- Battery powered smoke detectors should have the batteries changed out annually. Further, smoke detectors that are hard wired into the electrical system of your house should have the backup battery installed.
- Smoke detectors should be installed in key locations inside your home. Near the kitchen, inside and outside of bathrooms, and in the high points of ceilings. Many factors come into smoke detector placement. It is best to contact a professional to assist in location ensuring your home is adequately protected. PowerHouse professionals will do an in-house consultation as well as help suggest location, brand, and type of smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector that will be best for your home.
- Replacement of smoke detectors and/or carbon monoxide detectors should be done every 8 to 9 years. This is because as technology advances so does the protection smoke detectors can provide. Maximum smoke detector life is 10 years. Smoke detector manufacturers display the length of life typically on the package but you can consult your manual for more information on the life of your smoke detector.
- Many homeowners in South West Florida have families with hearing challenges. You can have a smoke detector and/or carbon monoxide detector that will shine a bright light when smoke is detected allowing the individual to be alerted even with the hearing challenge.
The United States Fire Administration recommends that you hire a licensed electrician to install your smoke and/or carbon monoxide detectors. It may seem like an easy DIY task to tackle, however, for proper placement and protection for you, your home, and your family, it is best to hire a professional. PowerHouse professionals are here to help you in protecting your home from smoke, fires, and carbon monoxide. Our qualified electricians follow the NFPA guidelines and will ensure your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are placed in the proper location giving you peace of mind knowing your home is fully protected. PowerHouse also performs home safety checks that will ensure your smoke detectors are working properly.
At PowerHouse Home Services, your satisfaction is our priority! See for yourself what our customers have to say about working with us.
"All of the staff at Powerhouse Home Services are great!"
They're always responsive and they come very quickly to get the work done. We are now using them for all the projects they can handle. Great company for one-stop shopping when it comes to keeping your home working and comfortable.- Steve B.
"Professional, Punctual & Responsive"
Nick was extremely professional as well as exceptionally personable. Good customer service is hard to find and these guys are awesome, especially when a technician goes above and beyond.- Scott R.
"I will not hesitate to call PowerHouse Home Services the next time I have an issue in my home."
Nick was EXTREMELY knowledgeable and professional, he took the time to walk me through all of the work he was doing, and really went above and beyond my expectations.- Erik G.